Thursday, June 10, 2010

A New Understanding of Indirect Service

In the past I often felt powerless when I thought of the many social issues that exist in society, having many ideas for how to change them, but not feeling as though I could make a measurable difference in helping many of these complex problems. Because many of these problems, such as poverty, are so complex and deeply rooted, and take many people to solve, I often feel that I cannot make a major difference in society. Through service I have realized that although an individual cannot often solve society's major problems on their own, they can impact the lives of other individuals in a powerful way by helping to improve some aspect of their lives, and through conversing with them. Through speaking with those whom I have served in the past, particularly on CA's trips to Washington, DC this past summer and New York this past March working with the homeless populations in these cities, I have had the chance to deeply connect with those I have served through meaningful conversations with them.

These interactions have profoundly enhanced the way I view service, even when that service was indirect and not working personally with those I was serving. On this trip I have really felt satisfied with the work we have all accomplished so far, as we have watched Eunice's house transform over the past three days. The new coat of paint made the entire house look much brighter and in better shape. Eunice's family members who occasionally came in or out of the house also expressed their gratitude and appreciation for our work.

Although Eunice has rarely left her house during the time we have been working with her, and I have not yet had the chance to speak with her or with any of her family members, I still feel that we are really helping her and her family by doing something that she would not otherwise be able to do because of her illness. Just seeing the tangible progress on the house has allowed me to realize this impact, which I had previously needed interactions to affirm. I hope that I do get the chance by the end of this week to talk with Eunice and her family, but I now understand that there are many reasons why they may either be hesitant to or not be able to speak with us.

Through our progress I have been able to envision how these repairs will help Eunice, and has also allowed me to think about the many challenges she struggles with of being disabled and elderly. Although the many issues of rural poverty are so large and complex, I feel that we are making a small but significant difference on the lives of Eunice and her family. This experience of service, although more indirect than some, has taught me that service does not necessarily require personal interaction in order to be meaningful for everyone involved.
Katie McCann '11

No comments:

Post a Comment